Lighthouse of St. Theordore ( Fanari )
One of the most famous landmarks along the coast from Argostoli to Lassi is St. Theodore’s Lighthouse. Named after a nearby church, the whole region is known today as the (Fanari) or lighthouse. The original lighthouse was built in 1829 under the rule of the British as most construction on the island. Designed by JP Kennedy as a circular structure with Doric columns. Like everything else in Argostoli, it was destroyed in the 1953 earthquake and rebuilt immediately afterwards along with other architectural gems of the period. The lighthouse was recently restored to preserve it from salt water erosion.
Cave of St. Gerasimos in Lassi
The cave is located in the Lassi area near the town of Argostoli. Gerasimos came to Kefalonia from Zakynthos in 1555 and became a monk and in 1560 settled in the valley of Omala where his monastery still stands today.
On the north side of the cave is a 30x30cm natural opening through which natural light passes and the sea is visible.
Dans is a cave turned into a small temple and is one of the rooms in which the male shepherd of the monastery estate of the Temple of Saint Gerasimos.
Katavotres Cave is a geological phenomenon. It is located approximately 2 km from Argostoli, on the way to Lassi. Sea water sinks and disappears underground.
On its way underground, it collects rainwater and groundwater and springs again near the town of Sami on the opposite side of the island making Lake Melisani. What really happened to water was discovered by Austrian geologists in 1963 after an experiment in which they poured liquid with isotopes into a sinkhole and found them in water in a lake after 14 days.
Napier gardens are named after Sir Charles Napier, the British governor of this island in the 19th century and are among the most beautiful places in the city of Argostoli. The large iron gate is the main entrance to the gardens, which are surrounded by stone walls in the traditional Kefalonia style. A wide cobblestone path leads up the hill past the War Memorial Center to a beautiful stone podium on top of the gardens. You can find benches and picnic tables here. The place is popular for outdoor activities and events during the summer.
De Bosset bridge
The historic Argostoli Bridge known as the De Bosset Bridge or the De Bosset Bridge was built in 1813 by Charles Philip De Bosset to cross the Koutavos Swamp Land, which at the time was synonymous with malaria and death. It is named after him and bears his name. The original wooden bridge was rebuilt in stone, which was removed from Metel Hill to give it a present-day appearance. Near the monument is a monument with an inscription in four languages, recalling all those who participated in the construction of this significant building. The heavy traffic over the years caused the destruction of its arches so that from 2005 to May 2016 it was closed to traffic and reconstructed. It is now open to pedestrians only.
Castle of St. George
One of the most famous landmarks and of great historical importance for the Livathos area is the Fortress of St. George. It is a prominent Venetian fortification in Cephalonia with subsequent interventions by the Venetians during the 16th century. It was the capital of the island until 1757. In recent years, maintenance work has been carried out to restore the fortress to its old splendor.
The view from the fort is magical, since the main criterion was the best possible visibility when choosing a location to build. From this point you can see a large part of the island, and the view of Argostoli and Karavados is beautiful. Churches and buildings have been preserved, both in the interior of the Fortress and in the suburbs, east of the entrance. In the outskirts of the fort is the holy metropolitan temple of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, a typical example of the seven-baroque style of the Baroque. Inside the temple are preserved valuable post-Byzantine icons from the demolished temples that were inside the fort. The Old Catholic Temple houses the Church Museum, which also features post-Byzantine icons. So far, no archaeological excavations have been carried out, but only projects on the maintenance, cleaning and reconstruction of destroyed parts of the fort. History says that there is a tunnel connecting the fort to Argostoli, but it is still found and explored. Every year, the walls are cleaned and partially repaired, with one of the most significant works being the reinforcement of the main entrance support.